It might be a cute idea to skip the contractor and repaint your kid’s room when the current work is crumbly- but ‘cute’ isn’t the first word that comes to mind with electrical work.
Homeowners who attempt their own electrical work often end up with bigger problems than burnt fingers.
Most inexperienced, amateur electricians who decide to have a go fixing an electrical problem can affect the whole mains circuit that an experienced electrician will then have to come and fix. Not to mention just how serious electrical accidents at home can be.
Sometimes your home is crying out for urgent electrician work – just don’t be tempted to unscrew that socket yourself.
Here are our five signs you need to call an electrician.
1. Fuses Blowing… All. The. Time.
If a fuse blows once in a blue moon, it’s nothing to be concerned about. Sometimes there’s a power surge we mere mortals cannot understand.
It’s when fuses are blowing day in, and day out that you’ve got a problem.
This often indicates one of two things:
- Your circuits are carrying a higher volume of electrical currents than they safely can
- There is a dangerous fault on one or more circuits
It’s time to pick up the phone.
2. Extension Cords are Everywhere
If you’ve got two extension cables plugged into the one socket in the lounge, walking across the carpet can feel like you’re playing a dangerous game of dodge and swerve with all those cables under your feet.
Despite this, the lamp in the corner is still straining to reach to a power outlet.
This isn’t just an inconvenience. You almost certainly need more sockets added, and not just to improve your standard of living.
Too many plugs connected to one socket may mean you’re forcing the circuit to work overcapacity, which can put a strain on the whole system, and is a more expensive electrical job when it snaps.
3. A Switch Gives You a Shock
Sometimes a balloon gives you an electric shock; we all know a little shock won’t kill you. Although this might make a baby cry, we adults get accustomed to the odd shock and brush it off.
That’s all well and good, but a light switch isn’t a balloon, and if you’re getting a shock from a switch you’ve probably got a bigger problem than static.
If a switch in your home gives you a small shock, or if switches and electric outlets are warm to touch, your system is probably suffering. That could be all it is, but sometimes these symptoms are signs of quite a big problem. In which case, call an electrician Perth – Richtek Electrical to fix the job.
When metal’s greatest enemy, rust, has made an appearance in your home, you should be concerned. Rust near any electrical socket or outlet spells trouble because it shows water has been around.
And we all know how well water and electricity get along: like a house on fire.
Rust or any water marks near any electrical socket requires an electrician as soon as possible, so the problem can be correctly identified before it gets even bigger.
If there’s any rust near your home service panel, make that ASAP even faster, because any deterioration of the panel can badly affect the wiring systems that power your home.
5. The Lights Are Flickering
If your lights are flickering, and a problem with the mains in the neighborhood can’t explain it, it’s probably time to enlist some professional help.
Although your young son may hold hopes there’s some sort of ghoul in the house causing the problem, it’s most likely you’ve got a problem with your appliances drawing too many currents. For that, they need to be moved to a dedicated circuit.
And the person to do that? An electrician.